Create, sell and redeem gift certificates from your Pike13 site.
In this article
Create a gift certificate or gift card
- At the top of any Pike13 page, select Settings, choose Merchandise, and then in the right menu click New Item.
- On the New Item page, enter a name and a price of 0.00.
- Choose a revenue category, and then add a description.
- Click + New Option, and then do the following:
- Under Option name, enter Amount.
- Under Option value, enter a word or phrase describing the option, like Half monthly membership or Full monthly membership.
- Under Price adjustment, enter the value of the option—the price that the gift will be worth.
Sell a gift certificate or gift card
- At the top of any Pike13 page, select Clients.
- On the Clients page, do one of the following:
- If the purchaser's name is listed, click the name of the client you want to sell the gift card to, and then in the right menu of the client profile page click the New Purchase button
- If the purchaser's name isn't listed, click the name of the client who'll be the recipient of the gift card, and then in the right menu of the client profile page click the New Purchase button.
- To make a full payment, check that the full payment amount is correct, specify who should receive a sales commission, the location of sale, and whether to email the client a receipt, and then click Finish.
- To make a partial payment, enter an amount that is less than the total, specify who should receive a sales commission, the location of sale, and whether to email the client a receipt, and then click Make Partial Payment.
- To split a payment between payment methods, enter an amount that is less than the total, specify who should receive a sales commission, the location of sale, and whether to email the client a receipt, click +Add another payment, choose the second payment method, and then click Finish.
Change the location of sale in the right menu of the completed invoice page by clicking the gear button under Sold at, choosing another location, and then click Change.
Redeem a gift certificate or gift card
When a client wants to redeem a gift certificate they have received:
Verify the Invoice (optional)
- If the physical gift card has the original bill number look up the bill number by selecting Store.
- Enter the bill number in the upper right corner, click the return key to search.
- Verify that the bill is for a gift certificate, add the bill information in Step 5 below.
Adding the Gift Certificate as account credit to the appropriate account
- Go to Clients, find and click the name of the client who received the gift certificate.
- On the right side menu, choose Account Credit.
- Select + Add Account Credit.
- Add the amount of the gift certificate to the recipient’s account.
- Under Description, be sure to include the bill number and any other information you would like to include about the gift certificate.
- Choose whether to email a receipt to the gift certificate recipient.
The recipient now has the correct amount of Account Credit on their account to use for purchases. Click here For more information on using account credit.
Keeping track of gift certificates
When you sell a gift certificate, you need to track the amount of the purchase and account for it when a client redeems it. The gift certificate receipt or bill number (in the upper left corner) is the key to identifying the purchase amount in your Pike13 business and matching it to the client who redeems it. Here are a few ways to make sure you’re correctly crediting recipients of gift certificates purchased by customers who aren’t clients:
- Email the receipt to the purchaser They’ll receive an emailed record of the bill number that they can pass on to the recipient.
- Give a real gift card to the purchaser of the gift certificate The recipient can use the gift card as proof of payment. Be sure to write the bill number and the amount of the gift certificate on the gift card. When they redeem the gift certificate, you can reference it against a payment in the past.
- Keep a list of gift certificates that you’ve sold Use the list to keep track of all gift certificates and to track how many outstanding gift certificates have yet to be redeemed. Information to track:
- Amount of gift certificate
- Bill number
To maintain consistency in Analytics & Reporting, be sure to either always refund to account credit or always manually add account credit to client accounts.